- 27 Sep 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
- Updated on 27 Sep 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Categories are entity attributes that enable Admins to classify Service Records and Configuration Items and determine the most relevant Assignee. Such classifications allow admins to organize records and assign them appropriately.
Categories also support Admins' needs for sorting, searching, reporting, and other operations.
Categories are listed in the Categories list, where you can view, edit, and create Categories.
This document provides an overview of how to:
Create or modify categories
To create a new category, click .
To modify an existing category, click the category you want to modify.
For more information, see Category Form.
Perform General List Actions
Export Category Lists
There are a number of Category-related actions you can perform inside the list.
To open the Category list actions, select one or more categories using their corresponding check boxes at the left end of each row.
Export to Excel
Click and click Export to Excel to export the list to a .csv file.
Print to PDF
Click and click Export to PDF to export the list to a .pdf file.
Define Category Visibility
You can define whether one or more Categories are visible in the Self-Service Portal and to Admin Groups.
You can also decide if the groups you select override existing Group Permissions for the marked Categories or if the groups are granted access in addition to groups with existing visibility permissions.
Enable Category visibility per Group(s)
The field is updated for all of the selected Categories.
To update Categories visibility for specific groups only:
- Select the categories whose accessibility you want to update.
- In the List Actions toolbar, click
- Click More Actions.
- From the first drop-down, select one of the following fields.
- Set group accessibility in SSP - Overrides the existing Groups that can access the Categories from the Self-Service Portal with the selected groups
- Add group accessibility in SSP - Adds to the existing list of Groups that can access the Categories from the Self-Service Portal
- Set group accessibility for admins - Overrides the existing Admin Groups that can access the Categories with the selected Groups
- Add group accessibility for admins - Adds to the existing list of Admin Groups that can access the Categories
- Click within the field
- Select a group from the dropdown
- Repeat to add desired groups as you want
- To remove a group, click on its corresponding X
- Click Save.